Design the logo for the new Aspen High Seas Initiative—an innovative program that supports big ideas for ocean conservation.
Young people are at the center of this Initiative, which is working to create a generation of ocean caretakers who know that anywhere in the world, the oceans are connected to the air we breathe and the water we drink. The logo should reflect the vitality, spirit, and creativity of the next generation of ocean leaders!
Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs is the proud youth engagement development partner for this Initiative, and is hosting and sponsoring the logo design challenge.
About the Initiative
Scientists estimate that 30-40% of the ocean needs to be fully protected in order to restore and maintain its health—and the health of human communities that rely on it. The “High Seas” – areas beyond national jurisdiction – cover 64% of the ocean surface and 43% of the surface of the Earth. Protection of these areas is a historic opportunity to restore and maintain the health of the entire ocean ecosystem and the future of our blue planet.
A program of The Aspen Institute, the new Aspen High Seas Initiative will support the big idea of making the High Seas a Global Marine Reserve and will build momentum for ocean conservation through scientific expeditions, public policy, technological innovation, youth engagement, and other creative campaigns.
Individuals ages 16-24 in the United States (U.S.), District of Columbia, and U.S. territories. Read complete Contest rules.
The Grand Prize winner will receive a $500 cash prize and be invited to present their chosen logo at the Aspen High Seas Initiative launch event in Winter 2018 in Washington, D.C., with leaders in ocean conservation, science, and policy. The winner and runner-up participants will be recognized for their work and become official “Ocean Youth Network Ambassadors” of the Aspen High Seas Initiative.
About the Sponsor
The High Seas Logo Contest is sponsored by Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs – a Boston-based nonprofit that works to inspire the next generation of ocean caretakers through education and engagement with the arts, science, and advocacy. For the past 6 years, Bow Seat has run the international Ocean Awareness Student Contest, a program in which students explore human impacts on ocean health through visual art, writing, film, and music. Nearly 10,000 teenagers worldwide have participated, and more than $220,000 in scholarships have been awarded.
Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs believes in the value of purposeful partnerships to confront the threats facing our blue planet. Bow Seat is the proud youth engagement development partner of the Aspen High Seas Initiative, a project of The Aspen Institute. The Initiative’s youth programming will feature Bow Seat’s educational experience, a dynamic and creative approach to ocean literacy.
thank you for your interest
we are no longer accepting submissions
Official Contest Rules
how to enter
- There is no fee to enter the Contest.
- Deadline: The High Seas Logo Contest (“Contest”) opens on Friday, November 10, 2017. All entries must be received through the online submission form by Monday, January 15, 2018 at 11:59 PM Eastern Time (ET) to be considered. The submission form will close automatically at the Contest deadline.
- Eligibility: Individuals ages 16-24 at time of entry are eligible to participate. Proof of age, identity, or eligibility may be required. If you are under the age of 18, you will be asked to provide the contact information for your parent/legal guardian.
- The Contest is open to eligible individuals in the United States (U.S.), District of Columbia, and U.S. territories.
- Directors, officers, and employees of Bow Seat and The Aspen Institute and their relatives are not eligible to participate.
- Individuals may submit one design to the Contest. Attempts to submit multiple entries may result in disqualification. All submissions must be made by an individual artist. Group submissions are not permitted.
- Participants must create an account and submit their entry through the online system by the Contest deadline Monday, January 15, 2018 at 11:59 PM ET. Submissions via email or physical mail will not be accepted. Participants will receive an email confirmation upon successful submission of their work.
- Entries that do not comply with the Contest rules and submission requirements will be disqualified.
Judging and selection process
- Logos will be judged based on originality and imagination; aesthetic quality, technique, and attention to detail; and how well they reflect the vision of the Aspen High Seas Initiative and meet the submission requirements.
- Judges will include representatives from Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs, The Aspen Institute, and other partners.
- Winners will be notified via email and phone by Friday, February 2, 2018.
- The chosen design will be revealed at the Aspen High Seas Initiative launch event in winter 2018 in Washington, D.C.
- The judges reserve the right not to select a winner, if in their sole discretion, no suitable entries are received.
- One (1) Grand Prize will be awarded to a winner and includes: a $500 cash prize, and an invitation to present the chosen logo at the Aspen High Seas Initiative launch event in winter 2018 in Washington, D.C. As part of the invitation, Bow Seat will cover the cost of round-trip transportation and one night's lodging in Washington, D.C. for the winner.
- Three (3) runner-up participants will be recognized at the event as official “Ocean Youth Network Ambassadors” of the Aspen High Seas Initiative.
Terms and Conditions
Sponsor is Bow Seat Ocean Awareness Programs, Inc., PO Box 1156, Billerica, MA 01821 (“Sponsor”)
By entering the Contest, participants represent, acknowledge, and warrant that the submitted designs are original works created solely by the participant and that except as provided herein, no other party has any right, title, claim, or interest in the design. The participant agrees to indemnify, reimburse, defend and hold harmless the Sponsor and its directors, officers, and employees, against any and all losses, liabilities, judgments, awards, and costs (including reasonable legal fees and expenses) arising out of or related to a claim made by any third-party that participant’s submission infringes on its or any third party’s proprietary rights.
Each participant retains the copyright to his/her design, but agrees to utilize it for personal use only and not for any commercial purpose or for any other purpose that would be inconsistent with the mission of the Sponsor or of the Aspen Institute. Each participant explicitly grants the Sponsor, affiliates, and their designees (i) the right to edit, adapt, and modify the design in its sole discretion; and (ii) an irrevocable, nonexclusive, royalty-free worldwide license in perpetuity to the design and any modification for any purpose in furtherance of its nonprofit mission including but not limited to advertising, marketing, and promotional purposes, in any and all media now known or hereafter created, including but not limited to publication in print material, social media, blogs, and websites, at the Sponsor’s and partners’ discretion, without additional consideration, notification, permission to participant or any third party. Participants may withdraw their entry by sending written notice to alyssa[at]bowseat[dot]org.
One (1) Grand Prize will be awarded to a Winner and includes: a $500 cash prize, and an invitation to present the chosen logo at the Aspen High Seas Initiative launch event in winter 2018 in Washington, D.C. As part of the invitation, Bow Seat will cover the cost of roundtrip transportation and one night's lodging in Washington, D.C. Train or air travel will be in economy class. Bow Seat will pay the costs of tickets directly. Lodging will be a hotel to be selected and paid directly by Bow Seat. Bow Seat will provide a meal stipend in the amount of $50.
The Winner will be required to verify his/her eligibility by completing, signing, and returning an Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release, and, where lawful, a Publicity Release within ten (10) business days of attempted notification. In the event the selected Winner does not timely complete and return such documents or declines to accept the Prize the Sponsor may, in its discretion, select the participant with the next best submission as an alternate winner. If the Winner is a minor under 18 years of age, such minor’s parent/legal guardian must sign and complete the Affidavit of Eligibility/Liability Release, and, where lawful, the Publicity Release on such minor’s behalf.
Accepting the prize constitutes permission for the Sponsor to make public and otherwise use the Winner’s name, likeness, and prize information for publicity purposes without further permission or compensation. All federal, state, and local taxes, fees, and surcharges on prizes are the sole responsibility of the prize winner, and the winner must submit a W-9 form to the Sponsor before receiving their prize. Travel documents, taxes, personal expenses, insurance, and all other items not mentioned herein are the sole responsibility of the winner. No cash equivalent will be provided for travel expenses.
General Terms and Conditions
By entering the Contest, participants agree that they have read and understood, and agree to be bound by, the rules and the decision of the judges, and accept the terms and conditions.
All judging decisions are final. In the event that the selected winner is ineligible or refuses the prize, the Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may choose whether to award the prize to another winner. The Sponsor reserves the right to reject entries that it deems abusive, defamatory, obscene, in violation of copyright or trademark laws, or otherwise unacceptable. In the event that an insufficient number of eligible entries are received and/or the Sponsor is prevented from awarding prizes or continuing with the Contest by any event beyond its control, the Sponsor shall have the right to modify, suspend, extend, or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the Contest deadline, the Sponsor reserves the right to select a winner from among the submissions received before and/or after that date, or in such manner as deemed fair and appropriate by the Sponsor. The Sponsor will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, late, misdirected, or illegible entries, or for failure to receive entries or other electronic communications due to transmission failures or technical failures of any kind, including, without limitation, malfunctioning of any network, hardware or software, whether originating with sender or the Sponsor.
Participants agree that the Sponsor shall not be responsible or liable for, and are hereby released from, any and all costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including, without limitation, damage to property, death, and bodily injury, due in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, to participation in the Contest or any Contest-related activity, or from participants’ acceptance, receipt, possession, and/or use or misuse of any prize, and the Sponsor expressly disclaims any such responsibility or liability.
Have questions about the High Seas Logo Contest? Please use the form below to send us a message, and a member of our team will get back to you shortly.